The unit patrols the incorporated areas of the city, providing a police presence in order to deter possible criminal activity. Volunteers act as an extra set of eyes and ears while on patrol, reporting any suspicious activity to patrol officers. Volunteers are not sworn officers, and will not respond to calls or engage in law enforcement activities.
VOLUNTEERS PROVIDE SUPPORT
- Monitor the speed of traffic in highly traveled or problem areas.
- Patrol business parking lots within the city, inspecting vehicles parked in the handicapped slots for valid plate, placard, or stickers, and taking enforcement action, if necessary.
- Conduct vacation house checks, recording the results and calling for assistance if any problems are discovered.
- Patrol the residential areas, interacting with the residents when possible, presenting a positive police presence.
- Assist with police administrative duties such as filing, data entry, and special projects.
- Support various community events, such as races, parades and crime prevention activities.
If you would like to support the Port Orchard Police Department by volunteering your time, please fill out the Police Volunteer Application below, and return it to the Police Department during business hours.